Puddle in middle of basement floor?

mercredi 29 juillet 2015

I noticed a large puddle in the middle of my basement floor last night. I looked up and the ceiling tile had a wet ring around it.

My first thought was that someone upstairs overflowed the sink in the kitchen above. I pulled the tile and had a look. The sink was about 8 feet away from the leak. Hmmm. Then I touched and messed with the insulation (which was dry) and inspected the wood sub-floor. It was dry too.

Second thought. The sink drain runs right through there. It must be leaking. However, No visible indicators that the sink line is leaking either. Clean as a whistle.

Third, It couldn't be the copper lines under pressure because I've never heard of a leak starting and then stopping. They were not leaking when I looked at them. However, one copper pipe was very green with patina over a 24" section just above the leak circle. Also, the bottom of that section of pipe had a slightly wet sludge to it. Also, over the years, when I'm in the basement watching TV, occasionally, I hear a rapid pipe ticking coming from that area. I always assumed the pipes were adjusting to heating and cooling.

On a side note, I have been shutting of the water in the house frequently to diagnose a water leak in the main service line in the yard.

Question: Could shutting off the water, relieving pressure, then turning it back on cause a temporary leak in a corroding copper pipe? I am imagining a hole that closes when the pipe is under house pressure and opens when the pressure is turned off. Seems opposite of what would actually happen, but just asking the question.

Thanks!


Puddle in middle of basement floor?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire