Haglund's Deformity On A Basketball Athlete - Is Surgery The Best Option?

mardi 31 mars 2015

Hello all,

It seems like there are quite a few athletes on this forum so I hope to get a response for my problem.



I'm a basketball player and recently I've been diagnosed with Haglund's Deformity on my right foot. I developed a 'pump bump' on the back of my heel and the pain grew gradually up to a point where it was unbearable and I had to quit playing and stop any activity I was doing.



I'm still unsure as to what caused the problem but about 2 years ago I've started doing a vertical jump program (more info on that here: http://ift.tt/1NChMBg) that is really demanding and puts a lot of load on the Achilles. At the same time I switched to a shoe that was not really cushioned enough on the back and it started rubbing against my heel.



Therefore I think it's safe to assume that the shoe is responsible for causing my haglund and the jump program I did just aggravated it.



The bump itself is not that big but it's still noticeable when looking from side.

I took an image of both my feet and you can clearly see that the right ankle protrudes a bit.







Anyway I tried solving the problem through stretching, physical therapy, better shoes and custom orthotics but the bump is still causing me pain.



One thing I'd like to point out about the pain is that it only occurs when I'm loading the tendon with high impact activities such as jumping/sprinting or changing directions swiftly on the court. However in normal everyday life activities such as walking/jogging I don't get pain.



My questions:

  1. As an athlete, what can I expect from this a surgery and is it the best option for me?

  2. Are there other alternatives that could dissolve or get rid of the bump via non surgical means?

  3. For those who went through the surgery, did you return to 100% after the recovery phase and did the pain disappear completely? Can you run and workout now pain free?




P.S. Sorry for double/triple posting, from some reason every time I press "preview post" it tries to post instead.





Haglund's Deformity On A Basketball Athlete - Is Surgery The Best Option?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire