My ‘strange feet problem’ - It feels like my socks are rucked-up under my feet, but they aren’t

samedi 29 novembre 2014

There’s a question at the end of this post, but to start with, here’s the story:



Looking back, I remember I was sitting at my computer when I noticed a tingling sensation to the soles of my feet. It felt as though there was an electric motor running somewhere and that I could feel it vibrating through the floorboards. I looked around my house for the offending motor – without success. My wife asked why I was ‘mooching-around.’ I told her I was looking for the cause of the vibrations I could feel coming through the floorboards, and she told me that she couldn’t feel any vibrations. Later that same day we went shopping and I noticed that I could feel the same tingling sensation everywhere we went, so the problem was obviously something to do with my feet and nothing to do with an electric motor



The on-set of this foot problem coincided with a general loss of energy, so I visited my GP. My doc examined my feet and reported no obvious problems. He organised a full blood test and referred me to a clinic for a foot scan. The foot scan showed no problems, but the blood test said I was slightly anaemic, so I was referred to a haematologist who monitored my bloods for a few months, reported that: a) I wasn’t anaemic enough for it to cause my lack of energy; b) my anaemia, such as it is, was probably being caused by my chronic kidney disease (my chronic kidney disease was news to me). He discharged me with the good news that my blood count had improved slightly, lifting me into the very bottom end of ‘normality’. But by now my foot problem was worsening



The ‘tingling’ sensation in my feet had almost gone by now, but it had been replaced by a new symptom: Now it continually felt as though my sock was rucked-up under the base of my toes - between the base of my toes and the ball of my foot (and the big toes seemed worst-affected). It felt quite uncomfortable, especially when walking, and I mentioned this when talking to a friend one day. She told me that her father had experienced exactly the same symptoms, had reported them to his GP who changed his antacid prescription from Omeprazole to Lanzaparole, and this cured the problem . . . completely!



I immediately stopped taking the Omeprazole I was taking for my acid reflux problem, and after a couple of weeks waiting to see if I could detect any difference to my foot problem, I made an appointment to see my GP



My GP was on holiday at this time, so it was several more weeks before I actually saw him, by which time my feet were very much improved. I explained what had happened, my doc scratched his head, said he knew of no reason why Omeprazole would have any effect on my feet, but he agreed to change my prescription to Lanzaparole. Jump forward a couple of months and I again feel the beginnings of my ‘strange feet problem,’ so I stop taking Lanzaparole and wait a few more weeks to see what happens



The symptoms begin to fade-away, so I again visit my GP. Once more he can offer no reason why antacid med should be having any effect on my feet, but he nevertheless changes my prescription to Gaviscon. It was a month or so before my feet again began to display their previous symptoms, but this time I decide to ‘stick with it’ to see what happens if I continue taking the med



Three months later I can hardly walk due to intense pain in the bottoms of my toes and the area between the base of my toes and the balls of my feet. I was literally hobbling-around - and looking for excuses not to walk anywhere!



I stopped taking Gaviscon three months ago, and my feet are now feeling almost normal again. It still feels as though there’s something like a wad of cotton wool stuck between my toes. But it is not painful and the feeling is fading a little more each day, so I’m hoping/expecting that my feet will return to normal again sometime soon



So . . . is anyone else having this kind of foot problem – and are you taking antacid meds? If you are I’d be interested to hear if the symptoms fade should you decide to do as I did and stop taking the antacid meds. Of course, the decision to avoid antacid meds brings its own problems, which I am addressing by eating less and avoiding late-night meals . . . so far so good! Tony





My ‘strange feet problem’ - It feels like my socks are rucked-up under my feet, but they aren’t

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire