Elementary Algebra (Math 100) question

jeudi 25 juin 2015

On a practice test, a word problem has confused me. I don't actually understand the question on the surface. The word problem was a variation of the one from the link below:

Jimmy is a partner in an Internet-based coffee supplier.The company offers gourmet coffee beans for $11 per pound and regular coffee beans for $5 per pound. Jimmy is creating a product that will sell for $7 per pound.The first thing to go into the mixing bin was 10 pounds of the gourmet beans. How many pounds of the less expensive regular beans should be added? - http://ift.tt/1SOgNR9

I know the answer. I know how to do it. We went over it in class. But I still don't get the actual question. This type of question is bound to show up on the test and if I don't understand what is being asked, I'm not going to be able to figure out its equation. What is the mixing bin? What does it do? Why does 20lbs need to be in the mixture? Why not 5 or 70 lbs? What is jimmy trying to accomplish?

I'm reading it like 11$ per apple, 7$ per orange, and 9$ per lemon. If jimmy puts ten apples in the mixing bowl, how many oranges should be added? That seems arbitrary. Just put in whatever.

Thank you.


Elementary Algebra (Math 100) question

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire